Follow Us:

Cheque Bounce Case

Home Cheque Bounce Case

Don’t let a bounced cheque stress you out. Trust our online resolution service to handle your case smoothly.

Debt Collection Agency

Cheque Bounce Resolution Process At WeVaad

Step 1: File a case on our platform

Step 2: Legal notice sent to the opposite side

Step 3: Assignment of an Experienced WeVaad Expert to resolve the dispute

Cheque Bounce Resolution Process At WeVaad

Step 4: Both the sides to upload their supporting documents and pleadings

Step 5: WeVaad Expert to review the docs and schedule hearing

Step 6: WeVaad Expert to issue an award which is binding on both the parties

How Tiered Dispute Resolution Clause Works?

A tiered dispute resolution clause, also known as a multi-tiered dispute resolution clause, is a provision included in a contract that outlines a sequential process for resolving disputes between the parties. It establishes a hierarchy of dispute resolution methods that the parties must follow before resorting to more formal and adversarial processes such as litigation.

Typically, a tiered dispute resolution clause consists of two or more stages, each representing a different method of resolving disputes. The specific stages can vary depending on the preferences and needs of the parties, but common tiers include negotiation, mediation, conciliation, arbitration, and litigation.

Negotiation: The parties agree to first attempt to resolve any disputes amicably through good faith negotiations. They may engage in direct discussions or appoint representatives to negotiate on their behalf.

Mediation/Conciliation: If the negotiation stage fails to yield a resolution, the parties agree to move to a more structured method of dispute resolution such as mediation or conciliation. They appoint a neutral third-party mediator or conciliator who facilitates the discussions and helps the parties reach a mutually acceptable settlement.

Arbitration: If mediation or conciliation is unsuccessful, the parties agree to submit the dispute to binding arbitration. They appoint one or more arbitrators who hear the case, consider the evidence and arguments presented by both sides, and issue a legally binding decision, known as an arbitration award.

Litigation: If all previous stages fail to resolve the dispute, the parties may proceed to litigation, where they submit the matter to a court of law for resolution. Litigation involves formal court proceedings, including hearings, evidence presentation, and judgment by a judge or jury.

Our tiered dispute resolution clause is trusted by our clients. Click on the below link if you wish to know how to customise the clause to suit your requirement.


Save time and effort by choosing our online dispute resolution service for your cheque bounce case. Get started today!


1. What is online dispute resolution (ODR)?

Online dispute resolution is a process that utilizes digital technology to resolve disputes between parties without the need for physical presence. It provides a convenient and efficient way to resolve conflicts, including cheque bounce cases, through virtual communication channels.

2. How does online dispute resolution work for cheque bounce cases?

In cheque bounce cases, online dispute resolution involves using digital platforms and tools to communicate with the parties involved, including the cheque issuer and the payee. Through secure online portals or virtual meetings, parties can present their case, provide evidence, negotiate settlements, and ultimately reach a resolution.

3. Is the resolution reached through online dispute resolution legally binding?

Yes, the resolution reached through online dispute resolution can be legally binding if the parties involved agree to the terms and conditions set forth during the process. Once an agreement is reached and documented, it holds the same legal validity as a resolution reached through traditional legal proceedings.

4. How can I initiate the online dispute resolution process for a cheque bounce case?

To initiate the online dispute resolution process for a cheque bounce case, you can contact our service and provide details about the case, including the parties involved, the bounced cheque details, and any supporting documentation. Our team will guide you through the necessary steps and facilitate the online dispute resolution process.

5. What happens if a resolution is not reached through online dispute resolution?

If a resolution is not reached through online dispute resolution, alternative options can be explored, such as pursuing the case through traditional legal channels or seeking arbitration. Our service can assist in transitioning to another method of resolution to ensure the case is resolved effectively.